Wisteria Place is a community where people come to live their best lives. We welcome residents from all over the world, and we are thrilled to stand as a symbol of Canada's commitment to plurality.
Wisteria Place's Grand Opening was a huge success. Residents enjoyed time in community and a delicious meal in the dining room.
Food Bank Day
We raised an immense 1,750 pounds for the Inner City Women’s Initiative Centre joined by Fairmont Waterfront (donations of toilet paper and bathrobes), Steveston Medicine Shoppe (donations of hygiene products), and Golden Funeral Services (food donations). Thank you to everyone who donated!
As a team, Optima Living residences across Western Canada raised 5952 pounds of book for local food banks and charities. Read more about our food bank initiative here.
Wisteria Place was featured in Richmond News in the beginning of October. Read the article.
Truth and Reconciliation Day
September 30th was Truth and Reconciliation Day. Wisteria Place residents enjoyed indigenous dancers wore orange shirts because every child matters.
Steveston Medicine Shop
How to Prevent Dementia
Dementia is a general term for a family of diseases that attacks our brain and causes memory loss. The most common type of dementia is Alzheimer’s Disease. Alzheimer's is the 6th leading cause of death for people aged 65+. Alzheimer’s can’t be prevented 100%, can’t be cured.
While there are factors that we can’t do anything about such as aging, genetics, and gender. There are 10 Modifiable lifestyle choices we can consider:
1. Stay active: You only have to do what’s comfortable. Walk around the block, do some flexibility and strength exercises at Wisteria.
2. Stay connected: with your family, friends, and community. Social isolation is equivalent to smoking a pack of cigarettes a day!
3. Learn new things: by picking up a new hobby, do puzzles, and stay creative.
4. Get enough sleep: it’s important to work with a healthcare professional to discover any underlying reasons for not being able to sleep: anxiety, restless legs, sleep apnea…
5. Eat and drink well: eat less processed food. Watch how much you eat. Keep hydrated and consume moderate amounts of alcohol.
6. Safety first: trauma to the brain can put you at risk, fall prevention is very important!
7. Stop smoking
8. See your doctor regularly
9. Know your numbers: there are other diseases that can put you at risk: obesity, hypertension (measure once a week), diabetes, heart disease
Mind your medications: talk to our pharmacists regarding your prescription, non prescription and your vitamins and supplements. We can identify any unnecessary drugs and eliminate unneeded drugs that put you at a higher risk.
Optima Living TV
Optima Living supports seniors to embrace an active and healthy lifestyle. As part of our unprecedented approach to senior life, we are excited to launch Optima Living TV: regular episodes of easily digestible content full of useful and interesting information for seniors and the people who love them.
Each episode (viewable on the Optima Living YouTube channel at YouTube.com/optimaliving) will consist of
1. an interesting class or lesson for seniors to take part in
2. a discussion relevant to senior life full of useful information and takeaways
3. a health tip from the University of Alberta's Division Director of Geriatric Medicine Dr. Adrian Wagg
Full episodes will be released on the first Friday of each month starting on October 7th. In between each release day, there will be segment videos released called “Spotlights,” bite sized content from the full episodes, easier to watch on the go.
Pack Your Suitcase
Pack your bags and come for a trial stay at Wisteria Place! We are always looking to get more seniors involved in all of Wisteria Place's fun events, cultural celebrations, and activities.
Our trial suites are fully furnished and air-conditioned and include toiletries, housekeeping, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can relax with access to all our fitness activities, outings, in-house entertainment, and events.
Take the time you need to meet new people, try new things, or just enjoy a break. Book your stay-cation today by emailing [email protected] or calling 604-204-0910.